trying to use a wav file as a wavetable

Started by misterc3d

Hi

I am trying to create a wavetable with a wav file I have. It is just in a folder, not a .rar or a .zip file. I try to import it in Serum, but whenever I do, a message shows up saying ''file error''. What can I do to solve this issue?

steve_xfer

Lossy-compressed files such as the ones in FL Studio or Ableton Live are not supported.
You can try opening with it e.g. Audacity
You can use the WT Editor->Import menu instead of drag and drop in case it's a drag issue.

Hi
I have the same issue. It shows me "file error", and the only way to import a wavetable is to copy and paste the sample into the wavetable folder and then open it into serum… so the importing options can not be used… I think the problem comes from FL samples browser (I'm using FL studio currently). Do you know any solution to fix the problem ?
Hope my English is not too bad to understand…

It could be a location or permissions issue, you could try e.g. making a folder C:\Wav\ as a test and add that to the FL browser search paths, and see if that works. The .wav files included with FL Studio are lossy-compressed and unsupported.

Lossy-compressed files such as the ones in FL Studio or Ableton Live are not supported.
You can try opening with it e.g. Audacity
You can use the WT Editor->Import menu instead of drag and drop in case it's a drag issue.

When I freeze and flatten in Ableton is that lossy because I've had the file error after flattening a track and trying to drag into Serum.

That's a different issue, which is Live on Windows will hold newly-created files in use and that makes them unavailable elsewhere including Serum. Typically recording a new file or restarting Live will resolve it. You could take it up with Ableton if it is a repeated issue, maybe they do it because of some other programs like antivirus causing conflict, but it shouldn't be needed for them to do that in all cases.

DanielDepardieu

Hello,
I have experienced the same problems, and I keep getting the same "File Error" from my Serum.
I run FL Studio 10, export my samples with Audacity to .wav, either copy them in my FL Studio extra search folder OR drag-n-drop them in Serum OscA.
I have had the same "File Error", even with .wav 16, 24 and 32.
Same problem w/ dragging and dropping either from Windows finder menu, FL Studio Browser search (the extra folder) or putting the sample on an empty FL Studio's channel.
For some unknown reason, I could only import FL Studio's Club samples (kick, snares, etc) whereas I'd like to create wavetables from random noises.
Would you mind helping me on that one ?
Thanks again, have a good day !

steve_xfer

It could be a path-related issue - I would suggest as a test try putting the files at a simple path e.g. C:\, e.g. C:\Wav\ and see if they work there. Also the new update coming soon could resolve it, and you could reach out to me if not so I can try to improve it.

DanielDepardieu

I tried different ways and the only one that works is exporting .wav straight to the Desktop and then dragndropping them in OscA or B.
Any other path won't work in FL Studio 10 but it's fine with me because I found one path that works and I can now create as many wavetables as I want.
I noticed that colors change when drag and dropping a .wav in OscA or B. Most of the time, it's yellow (either normal pitch follow or any other mode). It goes red when the file is unusable by Serum. And sometimes, with .wav 16, it turns blue.
I don't know if that's important or just my Serum going lights-at-the-disco, but it works nonetheless.
Thank you for your answer and for taking time to read my words !

steve_xfer

I'm posting an update today to the Serum registered user forum, I'd suggest to give it a go.

Hi there,
I have issues with importing files as wavetables still after the new update. I use Cubase 10 on Windows 10 and I would for example record something in cubase, export it as a wav and than try to import it as a wavetable.
Than usually one of three things happens.
A: I get the message File Error.
or B: The file gets imported but it looks and sounds really corrupted and has barely any content left.
or C: Serum imports the file but turns it into a straight line, so no sound at all is left.

I've tried rebooting Cubase and even my computer, tried different file locations but nothing worked.

Thanks in advance, I've seen great support on this forum so far. Really impressive work!

steve_xfer

This is resolved in the latest update. Please check "build" on the global tab.