OTT phase rotation fix?

Started by amaeland

Seeing as it appears fairly simple to create phase-linear crossovers (see ArtFX's "PROTT" vid in particular, and Dan Worrall's "creating transparent crossovers" - both on youtube)…would you consider adding a button to OTT which stops the crossovers from rotating phase?

From looking into the subject 'OTT and phase’, it seems more and more producers are avoiding OTT in order to preserve phase. Would be really cool to have the option to switch between the classic sound and a linear phase one!

steve_xfer

I created OTT at the request of a friend, it's a clone of a preset and serves it's purpose (same phase rotation IIRC). If I ever do something major, I will keep linear phase stuff in mind but unless you're doing parallel processing (where phase cancellation is going to happen once summed), I don't get the concern. In the case of parallel processing, the workaround would be to put a 0% depth OTT on the dry channel.

The reason is best illustrated from 3:40 in this video : https://youtu.be/Jh7RqoEHd5M

I think people would be willing to pay for an OTT plugin with transparent crossover filtering. And your user base is humongous :)

steve_xfer

Ok, in summary, were I ever to do some commercial thing with OTT I'll definitely have that.

I personally think in normal usage, it's as silly as a 432 Hz thing (myth) - any (non-linear) EQ will cause the same sort of phase rotation yet nobody really complains about it (as will air, speakers, ears, etc).

But linear phase does have a valid purpose in parallel processing, at the least you don't have to rotate your dry signal the same to avoid cancellation.

Ok, in summary, were I ever to do some commercial thing with OTT I'll definitely have that.

I personally think in normal usage, it's as silly as a 432 Hz thing (myth) - any (non-linear) EQ will cause the same sort of phase rotation yet nobody really complains about it (as will air, speakers, ears, etc).

But linear phase does have a valid purpose in parallel processing, at the least you don't have to rotate your dry signal the same to avoid cancellation.

Wouldn't it be possible then to perhaps double the path within OTT with one being the static crossover filters and the other actually doing the compression ? That would make for an easy Dry/Wet without having to use Linear Phase filters and yet fixing the out of phase parallel issue.

steve_xfer

Anything is possible of course, but that isn't the parallel scenario I'm referring to - I was referring to a parallel effects chain completely without the plug-in.

Anything is possible of course, but that isn't the parallel scenario I'm referring to - I was referring to a parallel effects chain completely without the plug-in.

Oh yes I know that's what you were referring to. I just pushed the logic a little further, as it seems it's an easy fix and an simple way to implement Wet/Dry within the plugin, hence removing the need to make a parallel buss :-)

steve_xfer

If you're doing a parallel effects chain, a dry/wet knob on the plugin is not a solution, but sure, taking things further (or tangential), fair.
FWIW, If you aren't using the band gains, the depth control will act as a Wet/Dry as it scales the dynamics ratios to 1:1 at 0%.

If you're doing a parallel effects chain, a dry/wet knob on the plugin is not a solution, but sure, taking things further (or tangential), fair.
FWIW, If you aren't using the band gains, the depth control will act as a Wet/Dry as it scales the dynamics ratios to 1:1 at 0%.

Yes a dry/wet "mix knob" won't do the same as a Wet Volume AND a Dry volume.

Jamura-splice

yo man a linear phase option for OTT would be insane! INSANE!!

oratowsky-splice

Hi,

I wish OTT could be phase coherent because it allows for more flexible routing.

common workflow for me (and many engineers) is putting OTT on groups/busses. This workflow precludes using sends on any individual channels in those groups because now they'll phase.

I can put OTT at 0% on my returns but now I have to put OTT at 0% on all channels that I want to use that send with. Also maybe due to inaccurate latency calculations this solution doesn't always seem to work.

I've also tried extensively to duplicate the OTT sound in Pro MB so I can use it as linear phase, I can't get close to the smoothness / extreme detail and clarity of OTT.

In summary, if you made a commercial version Linear Phase OTT I would buy the shit out of that. Like seriously. I would pay $200 for that plugin. (And you should, in my world it's basically the modern 1176 - the workhorse, ubiquitous compressor in everybody's toolbox.)

Thanks for all your amazing work Steve.

Oren

Jamura-splice

Hi,

I wish OTT could be phase coherent because it allows for more flexible routing.

common workflow for me (and many engineers) is putting OTT on groups/busses. This workflow precludes using sends on any individual channels in those groups because now they'll phase.

I can put OTT at 0% on my returns but now I have to put OTT at 0% on all channels that I want to use that send with. Also maybe due to inaccurate latency calculations this solution doesn't always seem to work.

I've also tried extensively to duplicate the OTT sound in Pro MB so I can use it as linear phase, I can't get close to the smoothness / extreme detail and clarity of OTT.

In summary, if you made a commercial version Linear Phase OTT I would buy the shit out of that. Like seriously. I would pay $200 for that plugin. (And you should, in my world it's basically the modern 1176 - the workhorse, ubiquitous compressor in everybody's toolbox.)

Thanks for all your amazing work Steve.

Oren

count me in! I also would pay $200 for that plugin!

3 more and we can hire a software engineer for $1000 that codes the plugin!